Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Thu May 12, 2011 8:00 am

Our Art Department is running OS X 10.6.7, our file server is running Server 2003 with ExtremeZip to allow fast finds using the Finder or Find Any File. The problem is that the search function works only when you mount the server using AFP. We have an automated workflow that needs to mount the server using SMB, which then negates the Finder and Find Any File speed search. Mounting the server using both SMB and AFP present unique problems for linked files. If you link the file through the server using AFP and then disconnect from the AFP mount leaving just the SMB, the links are lost. I need to know if anyone has or knows of a search utility that works on SMB mounted shares with the same speed as those that work on AFP mounted shares.

Top Top

Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:53 pm

Site Admin

ExtremeZ-IP is an AFP server, and provides features not available with SMB. I don't believe that it serves SMB. Can I ask why you would mount with both AFP and SMB on your Macs? I'm not sure what you mean be "link." (Alias? Hard or soft unix link?) Thanks.

Top Top

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:11 pm

We have to mount our Art Server because of our automated workflow RIP. If we do not mount the Art Server via SMB, then overwrite permissions are not granted via the automated server. I figured out the hard way that by mounting the Art Server via afp and the Automation Server SMB that the workflows would not overwrite previously created files, giving me a permissions error. If I mounted the Art Server via SMB then the workflows would proceed without error. We have plugins in Illustrator CS5, which require us to access our Automation Server via SMB as well. It is an ugly scenario but the automation portion increases productivity by a factor of 10 or more. There are one or two people in our Art Department that are pitching fits about this and I was just trying to find a simple solution or some advice. If there are none I will just tell them to stop complaining and move on. It is not as much of an annoyance as they make it out to be.

Top Top