Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Tue May 24, 2011 10:38 pm

Hi There,

I will be implementing a iMac server at my office, as well as five new iMac clients. I plan on using Open Directory to simplify user management and allow users to log in around our office. This will be my first time dealing with servers. :?:

I have done quite a bit of research, including reading Mac OS X Server for Dummies and watching videos on Lynda.com. I mostly understand what I need to, but am confused about the process of installing software on client computers. I will need to install programs like Microsoft Office for Mac, but will most importantly will need to install Parallels Desktop with Windows 7 on all of my client computers.

I wanted to know what the process of installing Parallels with Windows 7 on client computers is like. I need the application to be accessible by all users that sign into that client. I would like the Windows Files to be shared on the computers hard drive, but I'm not sure how that would work. I know that you have to share Windows Files between users in order to avoid having to install windows multiple times on the same computer.

Thank you.

Top Top

Wed May 25, 2011 12:03 am

Site Admin

Installing Windows with Parallels Desktop is straightforward. Parallels will pretty much guide you through it. You need a Windows installer disc.

I'm not sure what you're asking about sharing files. If you want the other Macs on the network to access the files in the Virtual Machine, you can turn on file sharing in Windows. However, since you have a file server, it would be better to copy the files to a share on the server for everyone to access.

Top Top

Wed May 25, 2011 6:33 am

Quote:
Installing Windows with Parallels Desktop is straightforward. Parallels will pretty much guide you through it. You need a Windows installer disc.

I was specifically confused about installing software on client machines. How does that process work? Do I log into the machine that software needs to be installed and then is it accessible to users on that client? I'm new to the server world, so I don't understand this.

In relation to the shared windows files, please see here:
http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=11413

On my MacBook Pro, Parallels promoted other users to install windows and didn't allow it to access the version of Windows 7 that I have installed on my user account. That's another area that I would like clarification.

Top Top

Wed May 25, 2011 12:32 pm

Site Admin

Install Parallels Desktop on the client Mac. Launch Parallels Desktop. In the File menu, select New.

Click through the screens and insert the Windows installation disc when asked. You'll need the appropriate Windows licenses from Microsoft. That is, you can't install a single-license copy of Windows on multiple machines.

Top Top

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:51 am

Yes! Because I also like this!
For technical personnel to solve!

Top Top