Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:19 pm

I have Parallels 6.0 and Windows 7 on my Snow Leopard Mac. When I am on the Parallels side, I keep freezing and having to hard boot up to 5 times per day. I can't even get back to the Mac side. I am retired so I am not on the computer THAT much. Does anyone have any help? I have an IT person but he is everything but Mac and is trying to learn Mac. This has him baffled.

I will tell you, Apple just replaced my battery because it almost exploded. They also replaced my logic board because of the expansion. That hasn't changed anything. Please help.

Top Top

Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:27 am

Site Admin

Parallels just issued an update that is supposed to increase stability, version 6.0.11992. You might try installing it.
http://www.parallels.com/download/desktop/

Top Top

Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:07 am

Thank you but I already have that version. I was hoping for the best when I saw a new update but I can't see where anything changed. Any other suggestions?

I am now keeping a log and the problem is at every point of operation - IE, Outlook, Word, printing etc. I am going along great and then the mouse just stops and everything is frozen. Ctrl-Alt-Del is not available, no keystokes on the Mac side, etc. Please help.

Top Top

Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:34 am

Site Admin

This is an unusual problem that points to something being wrong or broken somewhere. I would start on the Mac OS X side since it is crashing. Quit Parallels Desktop and remove the Parallels Preference files in your Mac's home folder>Library>Preferences. These files begin with "com.Parallels." Move these files out of the Library folder and save them should you want to replace them. New prefs files will be created automatically the next time you start Parallels.

Before launching Parallels, I'd reinstall it (keeping the virtual machines). The most recent version just came out a few days ago.

If none of this helps, try repairing permissions using Disk Utility. If there's no improvement, boot the Mac from the Mac OS X Install disc and launch Disk Utility from there; then run Repair Disk.

You could try creating a new virtual machine from scratch, installing Windows from the DVD, then installing Office.

Ultimately, you may need to reinstall Mac OS X, as a last resort.

Top Top

Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Hello,

Please submit a problem report to Parallels Support team as described below:

1) After the issue was reproduced and you restarted your Mac, please start Parallels Desktop
2) In the top Parallels Desktop menu choose 'Help' > 'Report a Problem'
3) Enter your description of the problem, Name and Contact E-mail
4) Click 'Send Report'
5) After clicking "Send Report' you will get window with the message 'Your problem report has been sent to the Parallels Support team with id XXXXXX.'
6) Please remember this ID and post here or send it to me via PM.

Click here for details

Also, to investigate the issue closer with your cooperation, you can submit support request on Parallels website using the link below:

Create Support Request

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:12 pm

I'm having this same problem. Very annoying.... There is also Virtual Box http://www.virtualbox.org/ that can be used. It's open source so you might have a whole other set of problems but it's free. I suppose if you know you're going to have problems with software you gotta ask yourself if you really want to pay for those problems. The only software I've ever had a problem with (as far as freezing) is Parallels for Mac. If my computer is going to freeze after paying over $600 between Parallels, Windows Vista, and the software I'm trying to run in Windows, I'm going to seriously consider just using some free open source software and just living with fewer bells and whistles.

Top Top

Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:16 am

Site Admin

You'll save $80 running VirtualBox, which has no tech support. You still have to buy Windows and your Windows software.

Top Top

Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:17 pm

Is the freezing problem universal? Anyone runs paralleled system without such trouble?

Top Top

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:14 am

In my opinion, the author's idea is advisable.I will make advertisement freely for your post,recommend it to my frields.Most of my frields are fall in love with rs. And under this circumstance,I also like to play online game,such as RuneScape.I always buy the items online.So I am familiar with the safest and convenient way to buy RS Gold online.There are: http://www.rsgoldfast.com/

Top Top

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:52 am

FIFA 15 Coins coming out soon, that time there will be a lot of activity!

Top Top