Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Fri May 23, 2014 11:04 am

Parallels 9 spins up even UNMOUNTED hard disks every few minutes. I have backup disks which I wish to leave unmounted and active disks which I would like to spin down when not required. After several weeks researching this issue which seems to do with Parallels Daemon and Parallels Access, (despite me requesting this was not installed) and not finding a solution, opening tickets with Parallels Support (who denied that the issue occurred at all) I finally uninstalled Parallels and found peace. I have now installed VMWare Fusion 6 and confirm it does not have this behaviour and unmounted hard disks do not mount up and unused disks stay unspun. I think Parallels as a company which shoots itself in the foot like this does not deserve our further support. I hear Parallels 10 will not install Parallels Access without our permission. I would be interested to hear other views.

Top Top

Wed May 28, 2014 12:42 am

Site Admin

Parallels Access was not installed with my copy of Parallels Desktop 9. I also have not seen this problem, which makes me think that Parallels Access is the issue here.

Did you try de-installing Access?

Top Top

Wed May 28, 2014 12:52 am

I didn't install Parallels Access either, (!) but I understand in Parallels 9 the background daemon is installed whether you like it or not. I don't think I tried to uninstall Parallels Access on its own, if it was installed. There is no uninstall routine and little or no guidance available from anyone on exactly which files would need to be removed. I also contacted their Tech Support section and they couldn't advise what to do. In fact they said this wasn't a recognised problem. Are you sure that your disks don't spin up? Try unmounting a noisy disk, don't do anything and see if it spins up again within a few minutes.

Top Top