Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:46 am

So I just discovered that Outlook 2011 on the Mac will not support Exchange Server 2003, which is what our company runs. This took quite a while to diagnose, since it's not advertised anywhere clearly, and it makes for a big problem if my Mac is going to become my main machine.

Annoyingly I can connect via the webmail.xxxx.com address to my Exchange account on my iPad and get full connectivity and syncing between my email, calendars, etc. It's fantastic, and was super easy to set up.

Using Apple Mail and iCal, however, I can't seem to access those things as easily. I have managed to get my email working using the IMAP connection, but I cannot seem to get my calendars to work with iCal at all, even using CalDAV (which I gather is pretty useless for enterprise purposes).

Why can I access all that stuff so easily and nicely on my iPad, but not from my Mac? And does anyone have any workarounds or ways to get iCal 4.0.3 working with my Exchange calendars via our LAN?

There has to be a way to make this easier... thanks for any help!

Matt

Top Top

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:59 am

FOLLOW UP:

So it looks as if none of the Mac-side tools will play nice with Exchange 2003 (except the iPad, weirdly). It looks as if our IT department is upgrading the server soon, but until then, the workaround I've found is to install my copy of Office 2010 Windows on the Parallels virtual machine and run in coherence. That way I have a fully integrated Outlook running at all times alongside my Mac. Not the most perfect solution, but it works!

After we upgrade the Exchange server I will be trying again to make the Mac version of Outlook my main application, and I will report my new findings.

Top Top

Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:31 pm

Site Admin

Specifically, Outlook 2011 for Mac requires Exchange Server 2007 SP1 with Update Rollup 4 and later.

For a description of features, pros and cons, see this: http://www.macwindows.com/Outlook-2011-review.html . For instance, Outlook 2011 does not at this time sync with iCal.

Top Top

Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:02 am

Thank you for your posts! Very interesting!

Top Top