Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:37 am

I've bee using Microsoft's RDC for Mac version 2.1.0 since it's release. I connect to Win7 workstations and servers. I've never had an issue!

For the past couple of day, I have not been able to connect to any machines from my mac (10.6.5). I get the following error "The server name on the certificate is incorrect". I've researched this error and feedback indicates that you just click connect and you connect! This does not work for me. Any suggestions?

Also how does one completely uninstall this app? Is it just a matter of dragging the icon to the trash, or are there remnants that also need to go.

A couple of changes have taken place in the past few days.

1. Mac update to version 10.6.5
2. I installed Mac Office 2011.

Thanks folks for the assist

Top Top

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:21 am

I resolved.. Thanks

Top Top

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Site Admin

Glad to hear it. Was your resolution anything that might help other people figure out a similar problem?

Top Top

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:14 am

Yes, PLEASE post your resolution... it might help inform my situation.

We've been having similar issues, with SOME of our Mac users suddenly unable to access their Win desktops through RDC 2.1, though others still can. All of a sudden in the last couple of weeks, several of us get the "Remote Desktop Connection cannot verify the identity of the computer..." message. Nothing changed on the Mac end for any of us, as far as I know (no major system updates or anything). The VPN is working and connected, we've tried several different configurations of user names, passwords, domains, etc. but none of them succeed for those of us with the problem.

I would expect that checking the "Always connect, even if authentication fails" option in the Prefs would fix that; this is what MicroSoft recommends doing if you have this issue in various situations. But it doesn't work. MOST of us cannot connect, and I can't find any rational explanation why not, or why not all of us are affected, or why that option won't let us bypass the issue.

So my question is twofold:

1) Why doesn't that option allow RDC to connect regardless of the identity of the computer? I'd think if it couldn't actually find the computer it would tell me that - the fact that I get the "Can't verify the identity" message indicates to me that it SEES the computer, but won't connect. Is this a known issue with Mac RDC 2.1?

2) Are there any known issues or obvious things from a Windows desktop or server side, when interacting with Snow Leopard or Mac RDC 2.1, that I know should know, or that might be causing this, either the connection issue or the non-working "always connect" option?

Any help, or insight through the resolution of this original issue, would be AMAZINGLY useful - thanks in advance for any advice!

Mattynabib

Top Top

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:18 am

I still haven't found an RDC solution to this, but I'll tell you, the freeware RDP client CoRD works flawlessly, as far as I can tell, and connects fine for these systems that are having trouble with RDC 2.1. Try it out:

http://cord.sourceforge.net/

Top Top

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi,
I'm having trouble connecting on a few of my Macs, i get the following error message;

"You were disconnected from the Windows-based computer because of problems during the licensing protocol."

I've seen this in the past and our IT dept would take responsibility and fix it but this time they're claiming its an issue with the Macs.
I have approximately 10 Mac users that can connect and three that give that error.
Two of the three are running 10.6.6, the third is running 10.4.11. I'm using RDC 2.0.
Is there a newer version that might fix the problem? Or should i try version 1? Will version 1 run on 10.6?

Thanks for any help,
Mitch

Top Top

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:10 am

Check the setting in Remote Desktop/Assistance settings. (screen shot below)
Can also try and alter the security settings in Microsoft Remote Desktop. Latest version is 2.1.1 http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads

Another vote for CoRD though. That's what I use daily for this task.

Top Top