Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:55 pm

I am looking into setting up a Mac Mini running the Server OS X 10.6 for VPN.
I've setup both L2TP and PPTP on the server, but I am not getting a consistant connection from Windows machines. (Vista, XP, etc.)

Can someone point me to a good resource for Mac server/Windows clients setups?
I'm only finding Windows server/Mac clients online.

Quote:
This server does not run a domain, and the router is a basic off the shelf Linksys with all the VPN ports open. It connects some of the times. Other times, I have to restart the VPN service on the Mac.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi

Why do you need VPN connection from PC to an OSX server? Do you want to use OSX server as a remote file server? If you use a firewall this can provide the VPN functionallity.

You canĀ“t connect PC client and work against the OSX server with a GUI as easy as you can with a Mac client. (or like RDC (see http://www.microsoft.com/mac/remote-desktop-client ) from a mac against a Windows server)

You could take a look at AquaConnect, http://www.aquaconnect.net/
This will give you something close to RDC.

/ Daniel

Top Top

Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:33 am

You could take also a look at CodeRebel, http://www.coderebel.com/products/irapp-terminal-server

Top Top

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:00 am

I recently went through this same issue and found that it is very easy to mislead oneself, in part because it appears that some components in the infrastructure do throw things away after a time. Specifically, port triggers created by Back To My Mac. Routers will only keep an inbound port open for a programmed amount of time after an outbound connection triggers the opening of the inbound port.

Top Top