Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Tue May 25, 2010 8:56 am

I have a client who is using a iMacG5(3) to remote into a Windows XP SP3 machine for work. She periodically needs to print invoices, etc., and would like to print to her local printer, a Brother HL-2170W wireless printer, which is on her home network with IP address 192.168.1.6.

I loaded the drivers for the Brother printer on the XP computer but when she remotes in, the Brother printer is not shown. Other printers, however, are showing: "Dymo LabelWriter DUO (from iMacG5)" and "HP LaserJet 2840 (from iMacG5)". She does not want to use either of these printers, and trying to print to the HP printer crashes her RDP session anyway.

Additionally, she also remotes into a Windows 7 machine when needed. I loaded the Brother printer drivers on that computer as well, but still no luck. The Brother printer from her Mac simply does not show up in her remote desktop sessions to either computer.

Printing to her Brother printer on her Mac works with no problem and she has the newest drivers loaded. Sharing is enabled on the Brother from her Mac as well. Local printing is “enabled” in her RDP options.

To reiterate, I ensured that the newest Brother drivers from the Brother Support website were loaded on the print server on both Windows computers. I made sure to load both the PCL and WHCL drivers available from their website on the XP machine. On the Win 7 machine I loaded drivers for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems on the print server.

My questions are:

1. Why does the Brother printer not show up at all if the drivers are loaded on the print servers on both remote computers?
2. Is it even possible to get this working, or is it a fundamental incompatibility between Macs and PCs?

Top Top