Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Thu May 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi. First time poster here, long time forum user. I'm kind of a hit and run poster on many forums due to the fact that I tend to look for the most pertinent forums for each single problem I have, so not really sure if this'll be the first of many, several, or my last, but this seemed the perfect forum to ask this question:

The set up:

I've got a dual boot Bootcamp Mac Pro system, with several other computers on my network both windows and two other Mac dual boots. I'm setting up a rather large music/video library and want to store it on a drive that is read/writeable from both systems. The idea is to link all iTunes apps on all systems to the same network folder and for all of them to (hopefully) have read/write permissions so they will all remain synchronized no matter which machine adds files to the library, or from where the files are added.

I've installed Tuxera NTFS and Macfuse, and am preparing to format a drive for this specific purpose. So this volume will basically hold nothing but mp3's, videos and artwork (all cross platform filetypes), plus some files that are already on it that are all Windows files.

Now here's the potential problem. Before I format the disk, I need to move the files that are on it. The only drive I have to move them to, is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) (HFS+). The tentative plan is to move the files to that drive, format the drive, then move them back. Obviously, in order to do this, I MUST use the Mac OS to perform at least the first move.

So, in a nutshell, I'll be moving Windows files from a Windows drive to a Mac drive, then back to the Windows drive, using a Mac to do it.

Does anyone know how much, if any, of a risk I'm running of corrupting the Windows files by doing this?

My feeling is that it's probably not going to be any riskier than any large transfer is (240GB).

What do you think? Any true experts out there?

Top Top

Thu May 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Yikes! :shock:

I should have looked more closely at this forum. There's an awful lot of questions here with no replies. That's never a good sign...

:cry:

Me thinks I'm just going to give this a shot. I've got two other destination disks I can use for redundancy, it's just that it'll take longer than I'd like it to. Few answers here it seems, but a lot of views, so I guess I'll come back and report the results.

Might take a few days to be certain it worked though, if it does.

Top Top

Thu May 26, 2011 7:43 pm

Well now. Don't I feel silly. Seems the drive I was planning to reformat is already read/write on both systems, so I guess I won't even need to find out what might happen. Good news for me. Not sure why I thought it wasn't. I think, because I could not delete some folders (the option to do so isn't even available for Mac), but could delete others, that if I create the files with Mac on NTFS (move the library to this drive), Mac is obviously able to write, and I strongly suspect Windows should also be able to.

Top Top