Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:25 am

So this is actually probably a larger issue that with Parallels, which is why I am posting it here. I am the sole Mac (dual 2.93GHz 6-Core Mac Pro, 10.6.6) on a Windows network (Win server 08 r2), and I've been wrestling with it for a while now. It seems that we had things at a pretty stable place, and I could see the servers in the Finder, access all the shares, etc. Life was good.

Then, for no apparent reason - there were no restarts, crashes, changes to my system, not even a sleep cycle - all the Windows server volumes except for one :shock: disappeared from the finder. That one is still there, which is annoying because it is the one I have no use for at all. Every rare now and again, the volume to which I DO need to access shows back up again, and I can even access folders for a short time. Then with no warning, it will vanish.

I've asked IT about this, and they can find absolutely nothing on their end that might trigger this, no updates or restarts or any sort of network procedure that causes the disappearance. And of course, that one server stays there in the Finder all the time, regardless of the presence or absence of the one I need.

My best guess is that this is on the Mac end, because - and here's the strange part - I can boot into Windows using Parallels, and from Windows I can access all of the servers and folders with no trouble, just as I could from my old Dell. So currently, to get files from the server to the Mac, I have to use Parallels and drag things from the Windows folders into my Mac folders on the Finder desktop! This works, so I am not crippled, but it's inconvenient, and worse, it makes no sense that I can see.

Has anyone had any experiences like this, any solutions, or best of all, any reasons that this might be happening?

Thanks so much in advance,

Mattynabib

Top Top