Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:44 am

I have a ad agency client with an old xserve for a file server. They have 13 Mac users for creative work (Quark, CS4, etc) and 20 PC users doing account/administrative work. They also have a in-house Exchange server for email. They have 2 logins currently, one for file server and one for email.

It is time for a new file server and the big question is Windows or Mac for the file server. In the past my experience with hosting macs on a windows server was awful. We needed 3rd party software to make it work. But that was in the NT4 days. I have not tried it since.

Goals
Single logon (AD or OD/AD)
Mac and Windows users accessing same file shares.

I am comfortable using either server software.

Mac file server
Pros;
1. I have used it before and it works.

Cons;
1. No xserve -> no redundant power supply
2. OS X server AD integration

Windows file server
Pros;
1. Single server OS
2. Proper server hardware

Cons;
1. Macs connecting via SMB

I think it comes down to what is the bigger headache, getting Mac clients to work with a Windows server or getting the Apple server to work with AD.

Thanks

Top Top