Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi, I just switched my workstation to a Mac but I still need to run my rendering client software on my render nodes which are running Windows Server 2008 R2.

My Network: My entire network is two Win2008 machines and my OSX 10.6.5 workstation connected to an airport extreme base station. OSX IP is 10.0.1.2, servers are 10.0.1.3 and 10.0.1.4 respectively.

What Works: My Mac can Remote Desktop into the Win2008 machines. My Mac can mount shared folders I create on the Win2008 machines.

Problems: The main problem is that the servers don't see my Mac on the network nor can they connect to a shared folder on my Mac. The second less critical problem is that my Mac can only Remote Desktop to the Win2008 machines using their IPs, not their computer names.

Can anyone please tell me how to fix any of these issues? I've found loads of help with connecting a Mac to a PC but almost nothing on doing the opposite.

Last edited by renderfarmer on Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:07 pm

Site Admin

I don't know what type of connection you want to make (file sharing, screen sharing, etc), but you can various types of sharing in the Mac's System Preferences>Sharing. For file sharing, after enabling it, click the Options button and check the SMB box.

Top Top

Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:16 pm

Thanks, John. I'm pretty much looking for the same "transparent" networking with names instead of IPs and "discoverability" as I had in Windows.

I just found out about SMB - how embarrassing... I turned it on and Win2008 mounts my shared folders without a hitch.

Now I think I have to do something in WINS Options to see the name of my Win2008 machines instead of having to type IPs and vise versa... Wish me luck!

Thanks again.

Top Top

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:51 am

WINS was a bust, but I did find the next best thing. Hacking the hostfile on my Mac to assign a name to an IP. It works as long as you manually assign IPs on your network and only have a handful of computers to map.

I found instructions here: http://decoding.wordpress.com/2009/04/06/how-to-edit-the-hosts-file-in-mac-os-x-leopard/

Top Top

Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:36 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

Actually I have given up and bought a NAS from Synology, and moved all of my data onto here. And all machines can access this just fine.

Top Top