Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi All

I have a few Mac Pros spare now we have updated our RIPS that control our printers. I thought I would turn one into a file server for our Windows SBS 2008 network. I have access to Panther, Leopard and Lion (inc server) OSs). I started with Leopard and setup a shared directory using SMB protocol and all the Windows PCs can access and save files BUT....

Problem I discovered first was if a user copies a file to this new OS X server the permissions only show for that user so other users can't amend and sometimes can't access the files. I read using SMB only on the Macs might solve but hasn't. I read that Lion Server would be the answer so tried that but it's a nightmare to get connected to Active Directory but it was doing the same.

I setup in the Server to Propagate the Permissions but as soon as any Windows user adds a file to the OS X Server the permissions revert to that user.

I have spent a few hours now seeing a way to solve but reading through the internet I see issues with Lion with Active Directory and the older OSs not sure if this a problem or if there is a work around.

Any help would be grateful

Paul

Top Top

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:33 am

Are you using drag and drop or (right-click) copy/paste to copy from Windows to the Mac SMB share?

In my experience, when using drag and drop to copy a file from a Windows machine to a Mac or Windows SMB share, the ACLs (permissions) are also copied, while using copy/paste results in ACLs inherited from the SMB parent folder. Drag and drop and copy/paste from Mac clients, however, both inherit permissions.

If the Windows can't stop using drag and drop to SMB, you could write a script to fix the permissions and set it to run on changes to the folder using launchd. I'm getting tempted to doing this myself, but then our Windows guys would have to write the same thing for their SMB severers.

-Gary

Top Top