Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:11 am

On both the Mac Pro 10.6.4 Snow Leopard machine and the iMac with 10.5.8 at my office, we used to have no trouble accessing folders and files on our Windows network. However, the server system was just upgraded in some way - the info I have is thus:

Quote:
We run server 08 r2 and we are on a Domain not workgroup

And since that update, I can SEE all of the network shares on our Win network, but there seems to be no way to actually log in and connect to any of them. Even the Admins are given "incorrect username or password" messages when they try to access a folder. So I have had no way to access my files other than Drop Box.

This morning, we tried accessing the network via Parallels, using the Windows side of my Mac... and that worked! This is good news... but still feels like a hack, I should be able to access the Windows network from the Mac, like I used to. . The Admins know nothing about Macs - I am the guinea pig for our department - and I think the problem is on the Windows end, not the Mac.

Does ANYONE have any information about this and any kind of workaround, patch, fix, etc?

Thank you,

Mattynabib

Top Top

Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Have your tried authenticating domain style?
domain\username

Top Top

Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:07 pm

mcl10 wrote:
Have your tried authenticating domain style?
domain\username

Thanks, but yep, I've tried pretty much everything I can think of as far as forming the user name, domain name, share, etc. I've used .local, .com, IP address, etc... none of these let me in, and in fact will not let in the Admins either.

I now can't seem to get it to work through the Windows side either, so I'm utterly at a loss. I could try VPNing into the Windows machine on my desk, but a) it would lock out that machine for anything else, and b) that's kind of stupid, since the Mac can see the network right there in front of it.

Thanks again for your efforts, and any other insights would be very helpful!

Matt

Top Top

Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:15 pm

You may not be able to connect with 10.5.x because of changes in server 08 r2. But I'm not sure about that. You should be able to connect with 10.6. Have you tried connecting using connect to server (command + k)? smb://server/share or
smb://fileserver:139/sharename
or
cifs://fileserver:139/sharename

Top Top

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:17 am

mcl10 wrote:
You may not be able to connect with 10.5.x because of changes in server 08 r2. But I'm not sure about that. You should be able to connect with 10.6. Have you tried connecting using connect to server (command + k)? smb://server/share or
smb://fileserver:139/sharename
or
cifs://fileserver:139/sharename

Well, I tried all of those things (never even knew about the cifs protocol!). It seems to register the server, and I get a UN/PW dialog that I enter my info into... and then every time it returns:

"Connection Failed - There was an error connection to the server..."

When I do a "Browse...", I can SEE the entire network and all the shares, and I'll choose the one I want to log into, click "Connect", it brings up my UN/PW dialog, I enter my info (and I am certain I've entered it correctly, I've done this many times), and it tells me:

"Connection Failed - You do not have permission to access the server XXX".

I definitely have access - I log into this same server share with the same credentials every day from my windows machine sitting right next to the Mac, sharing a router to the same internet connection. But the Admin came up and tried it, with the same results, and he has full admin access to the entire server. But he's a Windows guy and can't figure out why it won't work from the Mac when it works fine from the Windows boxes.

Does any of this give you any further insight? Thanks so much for your attempts!

Matt

Top Top

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:44 pm

Site Admin

Try logging on from the Connect to Server dialog (in the Finder's Go menu) using this form:

smb://servername(or IP address):139

There's a description on our Snow Leopard File Sharing Tips and Reports page:
http://www.macwindows.com/snowleopard-filesharing.html#100809c

Let us know if this works.

Top Top

Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:35 am

admin wrote:
Try logging on from the Connect to Server dialog (in the Finder's Go menu) using this form:

smb://servername(or IP address):139

There's a description on our Snow Leopard File Sharing Tips and Reports page:
http://www.macwindows.com/snowleopard-filesharing.html#100809c

Let us know if this works.

Interesting... this didn't exactly work as I'd hoped, but it seems like progress.

When I take out the share name (in this case ilfile01) and just do that smb login as you outline above, it actually seemed to do something useful. It said Connection to server, and gave me the UN/PW dialog. When I filled those in and OKd, it gave me another dialog, saying "Select the volumes you want to mount on 'XXX.com'", with 2 available volumes. I selected them both, but when they showed up, neither of them contained any connection to the server shares I am trying to connect to, mostly .bat files and a couple of unrelated folders.

I can still see all of the shares on the network, so I tried connecting to the one I want (ilfile01). Nothing happened, so I did a Connect As... and it hopefully brought up the UN/PW dialog. I filled them in with my info (correctly), and this time it simply gave me the "Connection Failed - you don't have permission to access the server 'ilfile01'." right away.

So I can connect to SOMETHING, but it does not appear to be letting me connect to what i NEED to connect to. Any ideas what might be going on on the server end to cause this?

Thanks again (and as always!),

Matt

Top Top

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:00 pm

Check this out
http://www.macwindows.com/snowleopardAD.html#092209a

have your server admin see if any of the errors on this kb page turn up in the event log when you try to access shares.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942564

Top Top

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:50 am

FOLLOWUP:

Nothing that I tried worked, and none of the IT guys had any idea what to do about it (and didn't try too hard). BUT... we had a series of server issues, blackouts, power failures, etc. and things got so screwed up that they called Dell in to help get things back on track. After that visit and the reboot, I can now access the servers and all shares normally again!

So there was something anomalous going on that I couldn't hope to diagnose on my own - as I suspected from the start.

Thank you all for your help and advice - now if you have any ideas how to get iCal 4.0.3 working with Exchange 2003 calendars (works fine on my iPad, but not on my Mac), I would deeply appreciate your thoughts!

Matt

Top Top

Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:58 pm

I think we fixed this

--
1. Log on to a Windows Server 2008-based domain controller.

2. Click Start, click Run, type gpmc.msc, and then click OK.

3. In the Group Policy Management console, expand DomainName, expand Domain Controllers, right-click Default Domain Controllers Policy, and then click Edit.

4. In the Group Policy Management Editor console, expand Computer Configuration, expand Policies, expandAdministrative Templates, expand System, click Net Logon, and then double-click Allow cryptography algorithms compatible with Windows NT 4.0.

5. In the Properties dialog box, click the Enabled option, and then click OK.

--
/ Daniel

Top Top