Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:24 pm

I hope somebody here has some insight on this...
Unfortunately I have very little experience with Mac's ..
One of my schools has decided to purchase 30 new IMac's and I am charged with setting them up on a new Windows 2008 R2 server and the customer wants roaming profiles for the students...

I can bind the workstations to the domain fine.. But this is the point where my expericence stops... Can someone direct me to instructions of how to set up the roaming profiles ?

IMac's are all 10.6.7 That's Snow Leopard, Right ? LOL... That's how much I know about Mac's.. And the Mac support folks have been less than enthusiastic about helping me. They cop out when the hear I have a windows server..

What steps do I need on the server ? This is what I've done so far.
I already have ou's for the classes And the students have a shared folder inside their class folder.... \\server\data\class\student
In the student's folders I have another folder for the profile.
I have done the usual things with AD as far as the profile settings on the windows server.

I haven't a clue as to how to get a profile onto the windows server or then how to retrieve it at logon..

I would also like to create a default profile for each of the classes as a starting point only so I don't have to manually configure each profile...

I am smart enough to only screw around with one machine till I get this all figured out..

On all the workstations,
So far we have an admin account, All the apps installed and tested under the admin login.
I can see the server fine and map drives so it would appear that everything else is working as it should be...All the network apps ( both of them ) appear to be working.

Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

John

Top Top

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:59 am

As I suspected.. This is something that few do...

Any help ? Cmon folks.....
:mrgreen:
John

Top Top

Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:19 am

Site Admin

If you're googling around, try searching for "Portable Home Directories" or "portable home folders," where you have both local and server-based home directories. This is Apple's term for roaming profiles for Macs.

This Apple article about AD server-based home directories might partially help:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=ServerAdmin/10.6/en/od49385144.html

Top Top

Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:56 am

This posts is very informative. Thank you!

Top Top