Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:53 pm

I want to be able to access files on my Windows 7 Home desktop from my Macbook Pro. I have been able to set up a printer correctly (physically attached to PC & accessible from Macbook) however I can't see any of my Windows shared files and folders using my Macbook.

I have done some research - People say to use the Local Security Policy on Win 7, however this is not accessible in my edition of Win 7 Home. Other people have said to go to “Sharing” on my Mac under “Internet & Network”, and check “Windows Sharing”, however this is not available in my edition of Snow Leopard.

I can't find any other way using Google search, anyone know a method that will work for me?

thanks!!

Top Top

Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:37 pm

You can enable sharing on your mac, however that will only let your PC see your shared Mac folders. You can enable sharing on your mac by going to System Preferences --> Sharing (under Internet & Wireless) --> check the box that says "File Sharing" --> Options --> check the box that says "Share files and folders using SMB (Windows)"

I am actually having a similar problem. There are three Windows 7 PCs and two OSX (10.6) Macs on my network. The main computer on which I need access to the shared files is a PC. The PCs can connect to the shared drives/files just fine. The Macs can share with each other just fine.

Neither Mac can access the shared files on the 64bit Windows 7 desktop (and vice versa), however the Macs can share files with the 32bit Windows 7 laptop. Both Macs have file sharing enabled (as above) and the PCs have file sharing enabled. I have tried manually Connecting to Server and typing in smb://myIPaddress and get a "connection failed" dialog. Typing smb://myIPaddress:139 also gets me the "connection failed" dialog. Is there an issue with the 64bit version of Windows 7 in file sharing with Macs??

Top Top

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Site Admin

There are a number of suggestions at MacWindows' Snow Leopard File Sharing Tips and Reports.

Here's one for Windows XP that might work on Win 7:
http://www.macwindows.com/snowleopard-filesharing.html#031310b

There are other suggestions as well.

Top Top

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

Actually I have given up and bought a NAS from Synology, and moved all of my data onto here. And all machines can access this just fine.

Top Top