Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Mon May 24, 2010 3:35 pm

I tried various ways to reword my question but it doesn't allow for enough room to ask the question.

Situation: I have been running five Windows 7 PC's all connected to a Windows Home Server. I sold my wife's overkill Quad Core system to buy the cheapest Mac Mini I could find. I wanted to have a better understanding of Mac's and to learn how to make them talk together. I wanted her to be able to take advantage of the software on the Mac but now I am almost starting to regret the purchase. With Iphoto you can't seem to let it work from the Home Server while at the same time allowing the Windows 7 systems to continue to work with the same photo collection.

So as the current setup goes we keep all our main files on the server and don't save much on the local drives except games and apps. With this new setup the Iphoto does import the collection off the server BUT seems like there is no easy way to work with it. If I make changes manually from the Windows PC's to the folders in the collection it will throw off the imports in Iphoto. How would I go about making adjustments to the \\shared\photos location using W7 but also allowing Iphoto to access the same contents. Seems like a big mess. Anyone thought through a logical way to make these work together? I have thought about keeping two collections but that will be a hassle to import into the server from a W7 pc and then have to do a 2nd step and import the new contents into the Iphoto collection all while not being able to change the old folder structure or risk broken collection in Iphoto.

Question: What is the best method to allow the remaining four Windows 7 PC's and now new Mac Mini to access the same photo collection but at the same time use Iphoto? I usually want to upload photo's manually through Win7 pc's.

Iphoto seems like it can ONLY work well if you keep your files locally or just not have the network location accessed from other Mac / PC's. Basically I want Iphoto to play nice with my server share and allow me to continue doing mostly what I have done in the past. Possible?

Top Top