Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:29 am

This one had me scratching my head and Google didn't turn it up.

I'm posting this to save some technician somewhere some time.

If a user can't open their own "Private Event" or "Private Appointment", check to make sure that they have not shared their own folder.

When you go to File > Open > Other User's Folder, and search for and view your own calendar, Outlook moves events from your personal calendar to this shared version and it thinks of you as looking at someone else' calendar and therefore blocks all access to "Private Event"s hosted on someone else's calendar.

This would be okay if not for the fact that the guest and the owner are one and the same.

There's no reason anyone should have done this, but I had a user who did.

It'd be nice if Microsoft either blocked sharing one's own calendar or applied logic to check if the person viewing a shared calendar is also the owner and allow access.

Until they fix it, the user can remove the shared calendar from view and re-create the events in their personal calendar. (copy and paste may be possible, not tested.)

Top Top

Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:37 am

Site Admin

Thanks for that tip. This is good to know!

Also, for more about Outlook, see our Mavericks and Exchange Tips and Reports.

Top Top