Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:14 pm

Site Admin

Outlook mail retrieval significantly slower than Entourage
Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Tests results from MacTech magazine show that Outlook 2011 for Mac is significantly slower than the two previous Entourage versions in downloading mail from POP and IMAP servers. However, the magazine found that tasks in managing mail on the Mac were faster in Outlook than Entourage.

The MacTech tests show that Outlook 2011 for Mac took more than twice the time to download POP email than it took with Entourage 2008 and with Entourage 2004. IMAP email syncing took about twice the time it did with Entourage 2008, and slightly longer than Entourage 2004. Outlook took five times longer to empty deleted mail than did either version of Entourage.

Outlook was faster than Entourage in searching messages and addresses, sorting messages, and launching the application.

The MacTech article quotes a Microsoft representative as saying that the slower mail message retrieval was "deliberate," and that "network performance competes with user interface performance and we throttle back the network a bit to make the user interface more responsive."

Have you noticed slower mail retrieval with Outlook for Mac? If so, does it matter?

Top Top

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:41 pm

I get the spinning rainbow wheel every time I try to open or write an email. It spins for about 30 seconds and then stops. It's driving me absolutely mad.

I have two exchange accounts and the delay has come within the last week. There are no alerts or errors posting-- just a spinning delay when I'm writing or opening email.

Also, my iphone which synced to calendars perfectly now show NO appointments when OWA calendars and my outlook calendar have meetings. It is extremely frustrating to have to log in to the web version of my calendar so I don't miss a meeting.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Top Top