Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi everyone -

I have an unusual problem. We're connecting a series of Macs through a "golden triangle" (Connected to AD and also to a Mac OSX server via LDAPv3) connection. We go to add printers and set the list view to Default. The system begins showing printers as Open Directory, but it only finds 999 printers out of 1113.

My first thought was that a domain controller had stale data, but pointing it at different DCs doesn't help. Also, I tried the same setup with a different Mac on a different domain, and it found 500 out of 501 on that domain. (Which has me wondering if it reads in 500-printer chunks.)

I also thought it might be storing the information on the Mac OSX server, but I removed it from the directory services list, and the same list came up. When I remove the AD server from the list, nothing appears at all, so I'm reasonably sure that the printer list is coming exclusively from AD.

Using dscl and changing to the Printers directory and getting a list yields the same list of printers. I also used a dscacheutil -flushcache after changing the preferred DC on the AD advanced objects.

I'm really stumped here. What could cause the Mac to successfully pull a printer list that is missing the same 114 printers every time? Thanks! - Steve

Top Top