Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:14 am

Hi All,

My problem is this, I have one particular Mac that regardless of which user logs in, that user gets a "?" in the Dock were their home folder should be. If the same user logs in on a different Mac, they get their network home folder to show up in the Dock correctly.

All the Macs in our environment are bound to both AD and OD and are running OS X 10.6.7. All Mac users are set to use mobile profiles and they have their network home folders' paths specified in AD. The physical location for the home folders is on an SMB share on a Mac server running OS X Server 10.6.7 that is also bound to AD.

Additionally, when logging in on the problem Mac, the share which holds all of the users' Home Directory folders mounts on the desktop properly and I can browse to the user's Home Directory folder and access it without any problems. It is only the Home Directory mounted in the Dock that is giving me problems.

To make matters even more strange, I tried re-imaging this Mac with a brand new clean image using Carbon Copy Cloner. I then gave the Mac a new name, bound it to both AD and OD and the problem happens again! I know the problem isn't my image because I also just used the same image on another Mac and I didn't run into the problem. Both Macs have similar hardware: Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac Identifier for both listed as iMac 8,1. The Mac having the problem is a 2.66 GHz model; the one not having the problem is a 2.4 GHz model, if that makes any difference. Also, I do have other Macs with the exact same 2.66 GHz hardware that are not having this problem.

I have also tried the following with no success. I created a new test user in AD and set the account up the same as all my other users. Logged into the problem Mac and got the "?". I then created a share on a different Mac server than the one all my other users are using for their home directories. This server is also running Mac OS X Server 10.6.7. I then set up a new home folder for this test user on the new share and defined the new home folder path in AD for the test account. I logged into the problem Mac with the test account and got the same "?". I then tried logging in the test account on a different Mac and had no problems.

Ideas anyone?

Top Top

Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:55 am

I'm also getting the same issue with some of the user areas showing up as "?" in the Dock.

I work in a school so the staff and pupils have user areas. All the members of Staff's user areas show up fine in the Dock but as soon as any of the pupils log in, their user areas don't appear in the Dock.

Unfortunately I don't have much experience with the AD side of things so if someone believes theirs a setting that needs to be changed on AD, please be very specific on how to change it.

The client macs are bound to OD & AD. Were using AD 2003 for authentication and user areas and the Macs are bound to OD for preferences etc. All the Macs are running 10.7.2 and the Mac Server is 10.7.2 as well.

Thanks very much for any help,
Morgan

Top Top

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:40 pm

What I recognized is that I am getting these errors when doing updates. I turned automatic updates off but still sometime when restart having a Blue Screen. It is 100% problem with BSOD and applemtp.sys - when something goes into boot (BSOD) it causes blue screen crash.

Top Top