Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:26 am

[my solution see below]

Hi all

I have a bit of a problem here :roll:

I have an AD-domain on a SBS 2008 Server and then there are 5 Clients with OS X 10.6.7 - so far so good.

The Clients are connected to the domain with the Apple-AD plug-in and that works just fine. But since I have mobile accounts for the clients I want to set up synchronisation rules for the home directories (and so on). To get there I installed workgroup manager (MCX) and connected to the AD. There I can see all my users but unfortunatelly I'm not able to edit the settings. I assume this is because my AD Schema is not extended yet...

...so I tried to do this, but there's my problem. I don't have any OS X Server where I can grap the Open Directory settings and so I'm not able to create a LDIF modification file for my AD. Is there a way to create this file without OS X Server?

hope you help :P
Bo

Last edited by stictsBo on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:28 am

ok... since no reply came I had lots of time for try and error...

here's what I did:

- get the Apple whitepaper that shows the necessairy extensions for OS X 10.6.x, I've posted at my site:
(http://www.sticts.ch/MacWindows/Modifying_the_Active_Directory_Schema.pdf)

- get the apple schema from your OS X 10.6.x (/etc/openldap/schema/apple.schema)

- follow the instructions in the paper (except of loading the schema from the Server Address, load the apple.schema file instead)

- be sure your exported file won't have a class called top to add (see code below), if you find it in your export, just delete it

Code: Select all
# Class: top
dn: cn=Top,cn=Schema,cn=Configuration,dc=X
changetype: add
objectClass: classSchema
governsID: 2.5.6.0
ldapDisplayName: top
objectClassCategory: 2
systemOnly: FALSE
# subclassOf: top
subclassOf: 2.5.6.0
# rdnAttId: cn
rdnAttId: 2.5.4.3

dn:
changetype: modify
add: schemaUpdateNow
schemaUpdateNow: 1
-

- if the import of the classes fails, make your classes to import won't refer to the following attributes, if found them delete it

Code: Select all
# subclassOf: top
subclassOf: 2.5.6.0
# rdnAttId: cn
rdnAttId: 2.5.4.3

- hope that helps...

more very helpfull ressources: http://blog.michael.kuron-germany.de/category/mac/

Last edited by stictsBo on Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:34 pm

Site Admin

Thanks!
If anyone has tried this approach, please post a note here.

Top Top