Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:10 am

I've recently been called in to sort out 10.6 iMac networks, where AD-based accounts cannot log in (they face no problems on their Windows clients). On three separate unconnected premises I have been faced with the same problem - 10.6.3 clients report that no home folder is found. The system log states that the "home folder at <correct address including FQDN> is unavailable. User domains will be volatile"

DNS
Clients can ping DNS server by IP and name.
Time
All clocks are in sync and in the same time zone.
Kerberos
Ticket Viewer can get a ticket.
Golden Triangle (exists on 2 of the sites, no Mac OS X Server on the 3rd, yet).
Mac OS X Server is 10.6 and running AFP, SMB, NFS and ODM.
Mac OS X Server is not running DNS service, nor Kerberos.
Directory Utility (on client)
All binds are successful.
Perhaps obviously, if I force local home folder, the problem disappears.
Where applicable, ODM is listed below AD in client Directory Utility authentication pane.
Active Directory
1 site has W2003 Server, the other 2 W2008 Server
Account Home folder path includes FQDN
Home folders contain no sub-folders

Questions
Are Home folder sub-folders normally created as part of the first login?
If not, how are they created?
Am I looking for an account configuration error within AD?
If so, do you have any suggestions as to what I am looking for?
If not, where else do I look? Permissions?

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

Top Top

Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:42 pm

I've done this recently and it does create a basic set of folders during the initial logon client AD logon(Library, Desktop, etc). I found that it did not create Music, Pictures, Downloads, Documents until I actually opened itunes, iphoto, downloaded a file, and saved a doc).

It sounds like its a permissions problem with the share that is storing the profiles. I gave the group of users full control under share permissions and List folder/read data and Create files/write data under security permissions. Once they logged in, the subfolders for the home directory were created with full control for that particular users.

Hope this helps.

Top Top

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:09 am

Thanks for your time on this. When starting from scratch I'm having no problem with this, but on the 3 sites mentioned, someone else had set it up and it was not working. Thanks for the tips re sub-folders, I'll check this out. I'll have to get back to the sites to find out the current state of play – if they haven't sorted it, I will forward your 'permissions' suggestion. Thanks again.

Top Top

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:59 am

tferro999 wrote:
I've done this recently and it does create a basic set of folders during the initial logon client AD logon(Library, Desktop, etc). I found that it did not create Music, Pictures, Downloads, Documents until I actually opened itunes, iphoto, downloaded a file, and saved a doc).

It sounds like its a permissions problem with the share that is storing the profiles. I gave the group of users full control under share permissions and List folder/read data and Create files/write data under security permissions. Once they logged in, the subfolders for the home directory were created with full control for that particular users.

Hope this helps.

It really useful for me. Thanks you for the reply.

Top Top

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:12 am

Wikisnoodle wrote:
I've recently been called in to sort out 10.6 iMac networks, where AD-based accounts cannot log in (they face no problems on their Windows clients). On three separate unconnected premises I have been faced with the same problem - 10.6.3 clients report that no home folder is found. The system log states that the "home folder at <correct address including FQDN> is unavailable. User domains will be volatile"

DNS
Clients can ping DNS server by IP and name.
Time
All clocks are in sync and in the same time zone.
Kerberos
Ticket Viewer can get a ticket.
Golden Triangle (exists on 2 of the sites, no Mac OS X Server on the 3rd, yet).
Mac OS X Server is 10.6 and running AFP, SMB, NFS and ODM.
Mac OS X Server is not running DNS service, nor Kerberos.
Directory Utility (on client)
All binds are successful.
Perhaps obviously, if I force local home folder, the problem disappears.
Where applicable, ODM is listed below AD in client Directory Utility authentication pane.
Active Directory
1 site has W2003 Server, the other 2 W2008 Server
Account Home folder path includes FQDN
Home folders contain no sub-folders

Questions
Are Home folder sub-folders normally created as part of the first login?
If not, how are they created?
Am I looking for an account configuration error within AD?
If so, do you have any suggestions as to what I am looking for?
If not, where else do I look? Permissions?

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Top Top