Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:25 am

Hi

I new to mac world. I used to be an IT Admin in a Windows only Environment.

Now I work in a company that has windows and mac clients (Snow Leopard, Win XP and Win 7). There is no server for now (windows or mac).

I want to implement a Snow Leopard Server and I read what I can do with mac clients (and it does all i need with them).

But what about windows clients? it works like an AD? Can I manage user, folder sharing from the server? Can I implement some security in windows clients like I do in a Windows Server?
Can i implement backups?

I want to suggest this to the company admin (and of course some training) but for now I don't have any arguments to do that...

TIA

Top Top

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Site Admin

Mac OS X Server does support Windows clients. It uses Open Directory (and can connect to Active Directory. It lets you do SMB file sharing and can act as a Windows Primary Domain Control. You can host home directories on the server and manage clients.

You take a look at the table of contents of my book Snow Leopard Server for Dummies to get an idea of what the server can do.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470450363

Top Top

Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:02 am

Hi...

i bought your book from amazon uk....

i'm on page 139... and i've discover a bad thing:
for windows 7 only business and ultimate are able to bind in OD...

isn't any trick to bind windows 7 pro? I think only who has some kind of contract with MS gets business edition.

Bruno

Top Top