Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:37 pm

When I opened up the VM fusion trial is stated that bootcamp was not there. But bootcamp was right on my desktop. So I figured I'd try to download it from the website. I did and when I opened it, the file said "bootcamp assistant" so I put the bootcamp assistant file in the bootcamp...thing...and VM still doesn't find my bootcamp...when I open my bootcamp icon this is what appears

>Applications
Bootcamp Assistant
Bootcamp Assistant Alias
>Desktop
>Library
Parallels Desktop [with the VM fusion logo]

Originally I had Parallels but when the filled up and mac had insufficient space to open it, and I could not get into delete it. I remember trying to uninstall parallels to get rid of everything...I still haven't quite figured out how to uninstall things on a mac [this computer isn't really for me but it's all I have right now and windows is my only hope for salvation in the gaming department at this point...not to mention I just bought a new video camera and it only works with windows...]

When I do get VM trial to run it tells me I need a boot up disk...which I don't have because it's a downloaded trial.
So I'm wondering if I've done something to my bootcamp...or some files are missing. Can anyone help me?
Would the genius bar at the mac store help at all? ...is so how much do you think it would cost?

*Note---I did try to organize things myself because I couldn't seem to find anything on this computer....so I'm thinking maybe I accidently moved something I shouldn't have moved.

Please help, it would be nice to try out VM Fusion before my thirty day trial is up!

Top Top

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:10 pm

Site Admin

What seems to be missing here is Windows. Windows does not come with Boot Camp, and it does not come with VMware Fusion. You have to supply it.

When it is asking for a boot up disk, it probably means a Windows installation disc.

When VMware looks for Boot Camp, it needs pre-created Boot Camp partition with Windows installed.

If you still have the virtual machine (with Windows installed) from Parallels, VMware may be able to import it and convert it to the VMware format.

Top Top

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:16 pm

I'll try the first option, unfortunatly my parallels disk is available but the code to use it is not, and I can't find the software anywhere on my computer.

Top Top