Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:34 pm

I had previously installed Bootcamp and XP and had no issues. Worked just fine for months. I decided to install Vista and wiped out Bootcamp and reinstalled as I needed to make the partition larger. Installed XP (as the Vista that I have is an upgrade) and installed Bootcamp 3.1. Since then, I have been having huge issues whenever I try and boot from Mac to Windows.

When I first start and "Option", everything is fine and I can boot whichever OS I need. I have found though that when I boot into Windows and use it for some time and have to reboot it (for an update for example), when I eventually want to return to Snow Leopard and I restart and "Option", both OS will display, but SL will take forever to boot.

When it finally does boot, it is really, really slow. I run Disk Utility from the install CD and it states that the disk needs to be repaired and that it cannot repair it. Upon restarting I get a flashing question mark inside a folder.

Other times I have tried to boot into SL using "Options" and it just will not boot. After about 5 minutes or so the system will boot into XP. I have even tried to boot using "Options" and get nothing to show. Just a grey screen.

After days of this really weird behaviour, and freaking that my hard drive could be dying, I have discovered that if I unplug everything, wait a few minutes and then plug everything back in and start over, everything is back to working as should be. Good as new.

But, fire up XP, restart XP and then try to reboot into SL, and the trouble starts again and I have to unplug everything again.

Does anyone know if this is because of the Bootcamp 3.1 upgrade? Should I get rid of this upgrade?

Top Top

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:08 pm

Site Admin

Sounds like you should repair the drive with Disk Utility. To do so you will have to boot from another volume, such as the Install DVD that came with the Mac. The Installer will launch, but you can access Disk Utility from the menu at top.

Top Top