Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:37 pm

I had Snow Leopard and Windows 7 64 bit set up and running well on my mid 2009 Macbook Pro 13" affter upgrading to 500GB Hitachi HDD and 8GB DDR3 RAM. Both were clean installed.

I then split the OSX partition to create a shared partition which I formatted NTFS with NTFS-3G 2010.10.2.

I installed MSOffice 2010 in Windows then used OSX10.6 and Win7-64 for around 1 week checking everything stable - it was with both OSs working v well.

After 9 days I installed my UK maps followed by my Globalsat Sirfstar BU-353 GPS for Windows. All was working fine for 2 minutes picking up satellites then Windows crashed - blue screen of death then blackness.

I rebooted into OSX which still works fine, deleted the bootcamp partition and merged all back into OSX then recreated boot camp partition and tried to reinstall Win7-64 Professional only to find it failed with

Error 0x080070002: The system cannot find the file specified.

After 2 repeats (each time recreating the Boot Camp partition) I tried with Windows 7 32 bit Ultimate and had exactly the same problem.

This looks like something has changed in Snow Leopard. Is it possible to restore defaults? I don't have a Time Machine backup.

I have found Win 7 32 bit very stable on my other computers - Toshiba NB100 Netbook, Toshiba Core 2 duo Satellite Pro and Asus MB Core 2 Duo Desktop - nothing like Vista which was dreadfully unstable. The Win7 configuration I was trying to replicate on the Macbook works fine on both Toshibas.

SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!

Top Top

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:44 pm

Site Admin

The problem may be in formatting the Boot Camp partition with NTFS-3G. Apple says that you must use Boot Camp Assistant to create the Windows partition.

Also, Apple made some changes to specifically for Windows 7 blue/black screen problems. Check the MacWindows Boot Camp 3 Tips and Reports page for descriptions and links to Apple's set of updates:
http://www.macwindows.com/bootcamp3.html#012110a

Top Top