Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:42 am

Hello there,

Here's a chalenge I'm facing :

On an iMac I need 10 bootable partitions
1_ OS X 10.5
2_ OS X 10.6
3_ OS X 10.7
4_ OS X 10.8 (comming soon)
5_ XP 32 bits (FAT 32)
6_ XP 64 bits (NTFS)
7_ W7 32 bits (FAT 32)
8_ W7 64 bits (NTFS)
9_ W8 (comming soon)
10_ To host those 9 images (Ghost or DMG) from wich I can rebuild the partition.

Is it possible or do I have to buy many computers :?:
Thanks

Top Top

Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:53 pm

Site Admin

I've never used this many boot partitions, but I don't believe there is anything preventing it. But there are some caveats.

First, if you have a new iMac, it won't support 10.5 and 10.6 at all. You'd need an older Mac.

It's important to know that for the Windows partitions, you will have to partition using Apple's Boot Camp, and not Disk Utility or other utility.

However, with this many different OS's, I would consider using virtualization instead of partitioning. Run Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion and install each guest OS in its own virtual machine. No need to partition, easier to backup, restore, or delete.
(OS X 10.5 and 10.6 won't run in virtual machines, however.)

Top Top