Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac is lets you seamlessly run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side

Login | Register

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 am

I am trying to set up bootcamp on my brand new MacBook Pro 13''. However, somehow bootcamp fails in installing the proper graphic card drivers for my machine (my card is Nvidia GeForce 320M, according to my system profile in Mac OS). All I get is some kind of standard, basic VGA drivers. The system also fails to install drivers for various other components.

I have tried to do this both with bootcamp 3.0 and 3.1, no difference. However, I do not manage to install the 3.1.3 patch that apple has released for 13-inch MBP: I get a windows error message stating that it can't find the software I am trying to patch. I also do notice that when I insert the Mac OS disk after having installed windows, there appears a window saying something like "installing NVIDIA drivers" with an empty progress indicator - it stays there for a while but eventually disappears, and then another one comes and installs various other bootcamp drivers. So I assume something goes wrong already at that point.

Trying to install the drivers by finding the right folder on the Mac DVD and clicking on the "setup.exe" file, just gives an error stating that there is no hardware compatible with the driver. I have tried to download drivers from the NVIDIA website as well, but that driver just gives me an option to install a driver for HD audio. So I guess that one also does not detect my video card properly.

I am guessing perhaps this could be a firmware issue? Calling apple support gave me no help at all - they claim the problem must be that I have used a windows image, rather than a retail disk. But that must be nonsense, the image is from microsofts e-academy and is downloaded exactly like microsoft instructs. And there is no problem installing windows - I have tried both Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Pro, the behaviour is identical in either system (exactly the same error messages), so it seems very clearly to be related either to the bootcamp software or my machine. However, the hardware test that comes with the Mac OS disk does not give any errors (I only did the quick test), and the graphics card seems to work fine in Mac OS, so I guess it's not hardware?

Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas for diagnostics, solutions? I'd be greatful for any feedback!

Top Top

Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:11 am

Site Admin

This sounds like it might by the "two drivers problem" that prevents Apple drivers from being installed in Boot Camp. There is a fix on our Boot Camp 3 Tips and Reports page:

TIP: Dual display drivers can prevent install of Boot Camp 3 drivers
Monday, November 9, 2009
http://www.macwindows.com/bootcamp3.html#110909a

Does that fix it?

Top Top

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:47 am

thanks for the tip - yes, this might very well be the solution! not the dual driver issue, but the language settings mentioned in the other post. my computer has norwegian keyboard and Mac OS set to norwegian. will try to re-install windows without altering the default language and region settings (leaving all in english), and see if that works. it'll have to wait until the weekend though. will report back then!

Top Top

Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:32 am

yup, that seems to have been it.

reinstalled windows 7, this time leaving the keyboard and language settings at their default values (US english) - and now everything went smoothly. just one caveat though: this time around I used the actual disks that came with my machine. in the earlier attempts i didn't have those available, so i was using a retail disk which had bootcamp 3.1 on it. but it would be a little weird if that was the problem, as long as it is not bootcamp 3.0, right?

Top Top

Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:58 am

Wonderful post...

Live Cricket Score Card

Top Top